There’s comes a point in life when what you once believed to be a balanced meal — pizza has four food groups after all — becomes a major indulgence. Make that a bad case of indigestion. Heather Crosby used to do pizzas with ground beef, sausage and bacon, until that diet literally made her sick. But she never lost that pizza craving. (Does anyone?) The now enthusiastic herbivore created this Quick & Easy Kale Pizza with gluten-free tortillas and sweet potato sauce with a nacho cheese flavor. This is no deep dish with the works, but she pulls off a dairy, meat and gluten-free pie. Crosby is a thin crust gal anyway, and there’s good reason this is one of YumUniverse’s most popular recipes.
Yield: 1 Serving
On the busiest of nights, this recipe comes to the rescue. Definitely play around with this one. Sprinkle on cooked lentils or sautéed mushrooms for a meaty topping. In a pinch, substitute a store-bought tomato sauce without added salt or sugar.
1 cup chopped kale, stems removed, chopped
3 tablespoons almond flour
Pinch sea salt
1/4 cup Easy Tomato Sauce (below)
2 tablespoons Sweet Potato Cheese Sauce (below)
1 large gluten-free, dairy-free tortilla
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. In a large bowl, toss kale with almond flour and a pinch of salt.
3. Spoon sauces onto tortilla and top with kale.
4. Bake directly on the oven rack for 20 minutes, until crispy. Place your pizza on the top rack and a cookie sheet below it to catch any potential but rare spillage.
Easy Tomato Sauce
1 tablespoon coconut oil*
1 yellow onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
2–4 cloves garlic, minced
10 large tomatoes, blanched and skins removed
2 cups pure water
Sea salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1. Heat a large stockpot to medium-high, then add oil and diced onion, celery, and carrots. Sauté for 15 minutes, and add garlic. Stir veggies for 3 minutes.
2. Chop blanched tomatoes, add to the pot with water, and bring to a boil, stirring often.
3. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Transfer to a blender (or food processor) and purée. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Sweet Potato Sauce
1 cup sweet potato, diced
2 tablespoons cashews, soaked
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup water or veggie stock
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1. Steam or roast sweet potato until soft.
2. Place all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.