The Right Way to Apply Mascara
- Eyelash curler (we’re big fans of Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler)
- Mascara (we used L’Oréal Voluminous Extra-Volume Collagen Mascara)
- Always curl your lashes. This is the most important step because it really changes the way your lashes look—with mascara and without. (Quick Tip: Run your eyelash curler under hot water or blast with the blow dryer for a few seconds to heat it up. This will help hold the curl. Just be sure to test the temperature on your hand before you hold the curler up to your eye.)
- Apply mascara to your bottom lashes first. If you’ve ever ended up with mascara dotted on your eyelid, you know the importance of the bottom first technique. Brush the wand down your eyelashes, being careful not to touch the brush to your eye.
- Now for the top eyelashes. Start as close to lash line as possible, and looking down, place the brush against your lashes. Give it a quarter turn so the brush can really grab the lashes and coat them completely. Then wiggle the wand back and forth up the length of your eyelashes.
- Repeat. Allow the mascara to dry between each coat.
For lush lashes, LA-based Makeup Artist Elle Leary likes to use a lengthening formula first and then a volumizing mascara for the second coat.