Cauliflower Pizza Crust Dairy-Free and GAPS
Recipe: Cauliflower Pizza Crust Dairy-Free and GAPS Legal
Author: Starlene Stewart from GAPS Diet Journey
Recipe type: Main Dish
This cauliflower crust has a great texture to it and is the closest thing I've found to "real" pizza dough.
- 4 cups riced cauliflower - this will be one good sized head of cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 whole egg
- pinch of salt
- PIZZA MEAT SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons healthy fat (lard, bacon grease, butter)
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fennel, crushed
- ⅛ teaspoon ground thyme
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Rinse the cauliflower, shake off any water and break into small flowerettes.
- Place in your food processor. Pulse until cauliflower is similar in size to pieces of rice.
- Place the riced cauliflower into a steamer in a pan but be sure to elevate the cauliflower well above the water line (this prevents the cauliflower from getting completely waterlogged).
- Bring to a boil and steam for 5-6 minutes.
- Line an 11" x 17" pan with parchment paper. I coated the cookie sheet with butter first, laid down the first piece of parchment paper (curly side down), buttered the piece of parchment paper and then laid the final piece on top. And one more coating of butter for good measure.
- When the cauliflower rice is done, place it in a strainer.
- Place the cauliflower rice into a thin dish towel and squeeze out any liquid.
- Mix the cauliflower, oregano, salt and beaten egg together well, and dump onto the parchment paper.
- Form the mixture into a crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes.
- It was easy to remove from the parchment paper and I moved it onto a cooling rack so that it wouldn't get soggy.
- I seasoned the meat sauce to have an Italian sausage flavor.
- Melt fat in a skillet until hot, add in onions and saute 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in ground beef and brown completely. Add in seasonings and tomato sauce when done.
- I also sauteed green bell peppers, mushrooms and red onions, and sliced black olives and placed those on top of the meat sauce.
You can read the original post here: http://gapsdietjourney.com/2012/04/recipe-review-cauliflower-pizza-crust-dairy-free-and-gaps-legal/