Coconut Poached Black Rice + Cod
Having the cod essentially steam on top of the coconut rice infuses it with a simple, subtle flavor. This is a perfect healthy and easy weeknight dinner for two.
- 1/2 cup black rice, rinsed + drained
- 1 12-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 1/4 pound cod filets
- 1/2 cup peas (both frozen or fresh work)
- 4 sprigs cilantro, leaves removed
- 4 chives, roughly chopped
- sea salt + pepper
- 1 lime, cut in half
- olive oil or melted coconut oil to drizzle (optional)
1. Combine rice, coconut milk and a pinch of salt in the Dutch oven. Bring just to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 30 minutes, until rice is a few minutes away from being fully cooked (there should still be some liquid left in the pan.
2. Season the cod filets with salt and pepper.
Nestle them slightly into the black rice squeeze half of a lime over top and add the peas. Cover and cook for about 5-8 minutes, until the fish is cooked through and the rice has finished cooking as well. Turn off the heat, place a paper towel between the pan and the top and re-cover for about 5 minutes.
3. To serve, fluff the rice with a fork, season with salt and pepper to taste and top with chives, cilantro and a drizzle of olive or melted coconut oil if desired.
Photography by Vanessa Rees
Recipes + Styling by Christina Liva