DIY Lip Stain

MAKE IT MATTE! MAKE IT LAST!


POST & PHOTOGRAPHY BY AMY NADINE, GRAPHIC DESIGN BY EUNICE CHUN
Of course there are many great stains out there and we couldn’t be bigger fans! But if you don’t have one on you and want your lipstick to last much much longer than it would by itself, or you want to mattify it because you don’t feel like looking too made up,  just go back in time to what our ladies from the 1930′s and 1940′s did! When I learned this technique back in makeup school, I thought it was ridiculous and that the powder wouldn’t penetrate through the tissue. But it not only does, it’s the perfect amount. The tissue acts as a sifter or filter and is more effective than directly powdering your lips. Here’s how:
TOOLS: 
  • Your Favorite Lipstick: I used Stila Color Balm All-Day Lipstick in Elle on Mahala above.
  • Loose or Pressed Powder: Loose is my preference but if you’re not at home, pressed powder is totally fine as long as you really load up the brush. I used Tarte Smooth Operator Translucent Powder because it’s incredibly fine and what I use on myself every day.
  • Tissue: You can use any brand. Just make sure not to fold it in half because then it will be too thick.
  • A Fluffy Brush: You can use your big powder brush, an eyeshadow blending brush or a blush brush… anything will do as long as it’s fluffy! I used my loyal “everything” brush, MAKE UP FOR EVER’s Medium Highlighter Brush.
STEPS:
  1. Start by applying lipstick as you normally would.
  2. Hold the tissue with one hand over your lip area. Press your index finger of your other hand over the lips to absorb the excess lipstick.
  3. While still holding the tissue in the same place, dip your brush into the powder and tap the brush a few times onto the tissue where the lips are pressed. When I learned this technique back in makeup school, I thought it was ridiculous and that the powder wouldn’t penetrate through the tissue. But it not only does, it’s the perfect amount.
  4. Peel off the tissue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing But Sweat Workout by DailyHIIT

4 Ways Your Pumpkin Can Make You Prettier

How Air Pollution Is Damaging Your Health