Recipe adapted from "Feeding the Fire: Recipes & Strategies for Better Barbecue & Grilling," by Joe Carroll and Nick Fauchald
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes, plus marinating time Cook Time:10 minutes Total Time:20 minutes, plus marinating time
Four 8-ounce rump (top round) steaks
3 cups stout or other full-bodied dark beer
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
Three 2-inch strips orange zest
1. Place the steaks in a large resealable plastic bag and set aside.
2. Pour the stout into a medium bowl. When the foam subsides, whisk in the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour the marinade into the bag; throw in the orange zest. Refrigerate the steaks for at least 4 hours or up to 3 days. The longer the better.
3. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for medium-hot cooking.
4. Remove the steaks from the bag and discard the marinade. Pat the steaks dry using a paper towel and season generously with salt and pepper.
5. Grill the steaks, turning them every couple of minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle reads 135° for medium doneness, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the steaks and allow to rest for 5 minutes