Breakfast Cookies by Aganist All Grain
Ingredients (yields 1 dozen)
½ pound ripe bananas (about 1 cup mashed)
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
2 tablespoons palm shortening
2 oz pitted dates (about 3 or 4)
1/3 cup coconut flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1½ tsp lemon juice
½ cup finely shredded dried coconut
2 tablespoons dried apricots, chopped
2 tablespoons dried currants
2 tablespoons raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a food processor, puree the bananas, dates, applesauce, and shortening until it has the consistency of baby food, about 30 seconds.
3. Add the coconut flour, cinnamon, vanilla, baking soda, lemon juice and pulse 5 or 6 times until combined.
4. Add the dried fruit and shredded coconut and pulse twice. Don’t run it long enough to puree the dried fruit, just enough to incorporate it.
5. Spoon golf-ball sized balls of dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat.
6. Flatten the balls a bit with your palm. These cookies don’t spread, so make them the shape and size you want prior to baking.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
8. Let the cookies cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the fridge.
*You can also press the dough into a greased pyrex dish and bake as bars for about 17 minutes.
* For those weighing your coconut flour, use 47g.
Danielle Walker is the author and creator of the grain-free recipe blog, Against All Grain (againstallgrain.com). She has amassed over 150 grain-free recipes that are also free of refined sugar and lactose. She is first and foremost a devoted wife and loving mom to her wonderful husband and rambunctious toddler, but finds joy in her spare time developing tasty recipes for those on restricted diets. Using grain-free flours such as coconut and almond flour, she creates familiar comfort foods that leave people with food allergies feeling satisfied rather than deprived. Her passion is to share with everyone that eating a diet of real, healthy foods does not mean living in a world of bland and uneventful food.
All of the recipes on Against All Grain are grain-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and low to minimal dairy.