5 Eyeliner Mistakes To Avoid
You know the moment: Your confidence is riding high, only to suddenly realize you’ve somehow managed to smear your formerly fabulous cat eye all the way down to your chin. Just great. This classic makeup moment is brought to you by our good friends at Eyeliner Gone Wrong. Unfortunately, it’s just one of many eyeliner blunders that we make, and often we don’t even realize we’re making them. We understand the important role eyeliner plays in our beauty routine, so we want to help you avoid these catastrophes. Here are 5 major eyeliner mistakes you might be making and tips on how to keep them out of your eyesight.
1. Bottom Heavy. Unless you’re in a punk rock band or attempting to channel Morticia Addams, that excess eyeliner on your lower lash line is a major no-no. If the liner on both your upper and lower lash lines is too heavy, your eyes will appear smaller. So, go ahead and get crazy with the top lid, but for the bottom half, keep it super thin and subtle.
2. Mascara Before Liner. Because of its volumizing and texturizing nature, applying mascara first can seriously affect accurate eyeliner application. Just don’t do it.
3. Thinking All Eyeliners Are Created Equal. If you believe that gels, liquids and pencils all accomplish the same goal, you are seriously mistaken (but we still love you). For quick and easy liner application, pencils are a great. But for a heavier, more prominent line, gels or creams are a better choice. And for a perfect cat-eye or sleek, winged liner? Opt for a liquid liner, which will slide on with absolute precision (we’re all about L’Oréal Telescopic Precision Liquid Eyeliner).
4. Skipping Waterproof. There is a rhyme and a reason for everything, including waterproof eyeliner. If you’re lining your waterline, you’re going to want to invest in a waterproof liner, like Lancôme Le Stylo Waterproof Long Lasting Liner to prevent smudging and blurred lines.
5. Sticking to Black or Brown. We always want to encourage you to think outside the beauty box, especially when it comes to eyeliner (and lipstick, but let’s tackle one category at a time). While we understand that brown and black eyeliners are staples and hold a special place in your beauty bag, you gotta switch it up every so often! Take baby steps with navy or plum liners and eventually break into the bigtime with lime green and bright teal! If you want some vibrant color options, check out Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencils.
Time to fess up! Which of these eyeliner mistakes are you guilty of? Let us know in the comments below!