Copycat Wendy’s Chili
- 4 tbsp oil divided (coconut oil, lard, tallow)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp chili powder (adjust amount to taste)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 chipotle pepper (optional, Wendy's does not use chipotle peppers)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 lbs ground beef (grass fed, organic beef is the best)
- 4 cups cooked beans (use less if you don't like so many beans)
- 3, 15 oz cans chopped tomatoes (we used a mix of red and yellow tomatoes and tomatillos)
- 1, 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 quart beef broth
- 1-2 tbsp honey (adjust to taste)
- 1-2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium heat. Add spices and sauté until fragrant.
- Add garlic, onions, green peppers and celery. Saute until onions are transparent. Set aside.
- In a large soup pot, heat remaining 2 tbsp oil and brown meat.
- Add vegetables, tomatoes, beans, and broth.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and let cook for about 1 hr.
- Add honey and salt to taste.
- Serve with sour cream and cheese if desired.