BBq Brisket-Cinnamon Recipe
Oven Barbecued Brisket
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika or Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 pounds first-cut brisket, (or flat-cut), trimmed of fat
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- Combine shallots, garlic, chili powder, paprika, cinnamon, oregano and salt in a small bowl. Rub into both sides of meat. Set the meat in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Pour Worcestershire sauce over the meat. Cover the pan with foil and set aside at room temperature while the oven heats to 350°F.
- Bake the brisket, covered, for 2 hours. Meanwhile, blend tomatoes, brown sugar and vinegar in a large blender or food processor until smooth.
- After 2 hours, pour the tomato mixture over the meat; continue baking, covered, until fork-tender, basting with pan juices every 30 minutes, for about 1 1/2 hours more.
- Remove the meat from the sauce. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice against the grain. Skim the fat from the sauce in the pan; pour the sauce over the meat and serve (or follow make-ahead instructions).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Bake, let the sliced brisket cool in the sauce for 1 hour, cover with foil and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat, covered, in a preheated 350°F oven for 40 minutes; if frozen, defrost in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.