Lacto-Fermented Garlic

Lacto-Fermented Garlic Paste

by Pickle Me
This is what 4 lbs of garlic looks like.  Today I was feeling extra spunky and made 2 1/2 quarts of garlic (1 of garlic paste and 1 1/2 of pickled whole cloves).  How did I peel 4 lbs of garlic without going insane?  A while back a video was going around Facebook of a chef showing how he throws a whole head, just separating the cloves, in a large metal bowl, topping the bowl with another and shaking the crap out of it.  It works!  Love it!  I used 2 plastic bowls which worked but I think metal would be better.  Since plastic bends, it was hard keeping the skins from flying all over my kitchen.
Of course you don’t have to make a whole quart of it.  I’ve made a pint and even just a cup before.  Just divide the recipe accordingly.
I’m lucky enough to be friends with a gardener who specializes in garlic.  When she posted on Facebook that she still had a bunch from the end of the season, I jumped on it.  I kept the soft neck for fresh recipes and all the hard neck was lacto-fermented since it doesn’t keep as long.  You can use lacto-fermented garlic as you would regular garlic.  I prefer to not heat it up too much because you kill off all those wonderful probiotic buggies.  Add a small scoop to a cup of broth that has cooled enough to consume for a super yummy and healthy treat.  
Garlic is also wonderful this time of year to fight colds and the flu.  Mix a bit of garlic with honey, cayenne to kick strep.  It works!
Lacto-Fermented Garlic Paste
  • 1 pint worth of garlic (this might take upwards of 10 or so heads)
  • 2 tbsp fresh whey
  • 2 tsp sea salt
Place everything in a food processor and pulse until a smooth paste forms.  Scoop into a pint sized mason jar and using a spatula, clean the sides of the jar and press out any air pockets.  I’ll gently tap the jar on a padded surface to smooth it out and remove bubbles.  Let set at room temperature for 5-7 days and then move to cold storage.  I’ve heard garlic is best when aged a few months.  I wouldn’t know because we eat it too fast.  Maybe this time I’ll find out since I made so much.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing But Sweat Workout by DailyHIIT

4 Ways Your Pumpkin Can Make You Prettier

How Air Pollution Is Damaging Your Health