Chickpea Nuggets (Falafel)
Chickpea Nuggets (Falafel) with Cucumber-Yogurt SauceIngredients for Chickpea Nuggets:
1 bag organic, dry chickpeas (soaked overnight, then cooked until soft)
1/3 cup organic extra-virgin olive oil
2 organic, free range eggs
1 Tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
1-2 cloves garlic (to taste)
2 teaspoons all natural baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/3-1/2 cup flour (chickpea, gluten free, or wheat)
Organic coconut oil for frying
Ingredients for Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce:
1/2 large, organic cucumber, peeled
2 cups raw milk yogurt (recipe for homemade)
1 clove garlic
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
Directions for Nuggets:
1. Place cooked chickpeas into a food processor. Pulse until beans are finely ground.
2. Add the olive oil, eggs, vinegar, sea salt, garlic and baking powder and blend until a smooth paste forms. You may need to add a little water, the mixture should be the consistency of hummus.
3. Transfer the chickpea mixture into a large mixing bowl, and add a little flour at a time until you have a dough that you can work with your hands.
4. Form the dough into nugget-sized pieces, about 1/2 thick and 1 1/2-2 inches long.
5. Fry nuggets in organic coconut oil, you need just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan (a cast iron skillet works well) and come about 1/2 way up the thickness of the nuggets, about 1/3 in deep. Fry them on one side for about 5 minutes until golden-brown, then flip the nuggets and fry for another 3-5 minutes. Remove the cooked nuggets and allow them to cool for a bit on a plate lined with a paper towel or two.
6. Place extra nuggets on a cookie sheet and freeze until solid, then transfer to a freezer bag for later!
Directions for Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce:
Put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Serve with the nuggets for dipping, or serve over gluten free pita bread or naan and vegetables. Store remaining sauce in the fridge.