Tomato and Cheddar Pie
Yield: 8 servings
Layers of fresh tomatoes, cheddar cheese and a basil cream cheese blend make up the luxuriously rich filling with a buttermilk crust that is a cross between a biscuit and fluffy bread.
2 cups coconut flour
1 + 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2? cubes
1 cup buttermilk
2 pounds large ripe tomatoes, cored, seeds removed and cut into 1/4? slices
2 + 1/2 cups extra-sharp cheddar, grated
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1 scallion, diced
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 – 2 tablespoons cornmeal, for sprinkling over crust
crispy bacon, for serving (optional)
- To make crust: whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a medium bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in butter or use a pastry blender until coarse meal forms and some small lumps remain. Stir in buttermilk and knead gently with your hands until dough forms, adding flour if needed, dough will remain sticky. Dust lightly with flour, wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile lay tomato slices in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with 2 layers of paper towels. Place another 2 layers of paper towels on top of tomatoes. Let stand for 30 minutes to drain.
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Roll out dough between 2 sheets of parchment or wax paper to an 11? round. Remove top layer of parchment and invert dough onto a 9-inch pie dish, carefully peeling off remaining parchment.
- Toss the cheddar and Parmesan together in a medium bowl and reserve 1/4 cup. Whisk cream cheese, mayonnaise, scallion, basil, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over bottom of crust. Top with about 1/2 cup cheese mixture, arrange 1/3 of tomatoes over cheese, overlapping as needed, then spread half of the cream cheese mixture over the tomatoes. Repeat layering with 1 cup of cheese mixture, 1/2 of the remaining tomato slices, and remaining cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese mixture over, then remaining tomato slices. Sprinkle with reserved 1/4 cup cheese mixture. Fold overhanging crust up and over edges of tomato slices or trim off the edges for a traditional pie.
- Bake until crust is golden about 35-40 minutes, tent with foil halfway through if crust gets too dark. Let pie cool 1-2 hours before slicing. Serve with a slice of bacon.