The Best Mascaras 2017
The 30-Second Review
A quick flick of even a so-so mascara can make a big impact, but the best mascara goes the extra mile to add that one crucial millimeter of length. After hours of research sorting through the hundreds of mascaras out there, I found that the hype for my top picks is here. Now some I have used and tried and true. Some are ones that have been all the rage that I have not tried.
After all this research, it was clear why some mascaras have a cult following — the best options can seriously upgrade your natural eyelashes and still leave you in complete control over how minimalist or maximalist you want your look to be.
Here are the 7 best mascaras:
- Benefit Cosmetics They're Real! Mascara (Best Overall)
- Lancôme Definicils High Definition Mascara (Best Lengthening Mascara)
- Maybelline Great Lash Washable Mascara (Best Drugstore Mascara)
- Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes 4-in-1 Mascara (Best Mascara for Sensitive Eyes)
- Blinc Mascara (Best Thickening Mascara)
- Dior Diorshow Mascara (Best Volumizing Mascara
- YSL Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils (Best False-like Lashes)
Mascara Reviews and Testing
To test each mascara, I applied each option every morning and kept it on for about 13 to 15 hours without reapplying. We wore each mascara for one day and went about normal activities: Taking morning walks to the around the mall, working at in my home, periodically misting my faces with rosewater, then going out for dinner in the evening. I didn’t use any other lash products, like primers, conditioners, or curlers, during testing. And I love my fiber mascaras but did not use that either.
I judged each product on how well it did in three areas:
- Lashes looked longer.
- Separated and defined each lash.
- Thickened lashes without clumping.
- I'm a mascara junkie; I've tried pretty much every high-end one and kind of got tired of paying $26 or more for a tube that would only last me a few months. I am so impressed; it does everything it says and makes my lashes super long. This one is worth the big bucks. I didn't have issues with it flaking or clumping, and it stayed on all day. Really fab mascara; highly recommend!
- Best Overall
- Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real! Mascara scored perfectly on every factor of our test. The brush, which has the uniform bristles of a desert cactus, is large enough to create volume, but thin enough to provide separation and definition, with a uniquely spiky tip for extra lengthening. The one-of-a-kind bristles somehow gently latch onto your hair from the roots to seamlessly lift and define each eyelash.
- Now the only mascara I have not tried was the Blinc. But the rating on it was astonshing. So I will here in my future test this one out myself. What mascara is your tried and true favorite?