Beef & Veggie Porridge
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 cup white short grain rice, washed, soaked in cold water at least 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ pound of lean beef, ground
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1½ cup broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or soup soy sauce, or salt, to taste)
- 4 sheets of gim (dried seaweed paper), toasted and crushed in a plastic bag (optional)
- 4 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Heat up a heavy pot or sauce pan and add 2 teaspoons sesame oil and the beef. Cook over medium high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon for about 2 to 3 minutes until the beef is no longer pink.
- Add the garlic and onion, stirring for a few minutes until the onion turns a little translucent.
- Strain the rice and add to the pot. Stir for about 3 to 4 minutes until the rice looks a little translucent and sticky.
- Add all the chopped colorful vegetables and keep stirring for a minute.
5. Add 7 cups of water and stir well with the wooden spoon and cover. Cook for 20 minutes over medium high heat. If it boils over, half cover the pot with the lid and keep cooking.
- Uncover, stir the porridge a few times, and turn down the heat to low. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Serve hot. Right before serving, add the crushed seaweed and sesame seeds.