Mushroom Onion Gravy (GAPS)
Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free
Author: Starlene Stewart @ GAPS Diet Journey
Recipe type: Condiment
A GAPS legal gravy.
- 3 large onions
- ½ head of cauliflower
- 8 ounces portabella baby mushrooms
- 2-4 Tablespoons butter
- 2 to 3 cups chicken, turkey or beef stock
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a medium sized glass casserole dish.
- Peel the onions and chop into eight pieces.
- Rinse cauliflower and break into small florets.
- Rinse and trim bottoms of seven baby portabella mushrooms.
- Place all ingredients in the glass dish with ½ cup of water.
- Cover with aluminum foil, or use a lid if your casserole dish has one.
- Bake for one hour, remove from oven.
- Stir ingredients.
- Replace in the oven and allow to bake for another hour.
- While the onion mixture is baking, wash and slice the remaining mushrooms.
- Saute in two tablespoons of butter.
- Cook down until all liquid is gone.
- After the second hour, the cauliflower should begin to look somewhat caramelized, and the onion should be translucent and fork tender.
- The baked portabellas will have a firm texture.
- Remove from oven.
- Place 2 cups of the onion, cauliflower and mushrooms mixture into your blender.
- Add 1 cup of broth and blend until pureed (1 to 2 minutes).
- Pour gravy into a saucepan.
- Continue to puree all the vegetables with stock.
- Once it is all in the saucepan, add butter and salt to taste.
- You may also add pepper.
- Mix in the sauteed mushrooms.
- Serve while warm.
You can read the original post here: http://gapsdietjourney.com/2010/12/recipe-mushroom-onion-gravy-gluten-free-dairy-free/